“BLOOM with XENIA … Adopt-A-Spot” Program
The City of Xenia Board for Recreation, Arts, and Cultural Activities (BRACA) is once again collaborating with the Greene County Master Gardeners (GCMG) for the annual “BLOOM with XENIA … Adopt-A-Spot” program!
This collaborative effort was born in 2010 by the Greene County Master Gardeners based on the City’s on-going need for support to maintain, enhance, and beautify the flower beds and flower pots located in and around our downtown. Due to the City’s significant budget cuts and reduction in staffing in recent years, the flower beds and flower pots were not given priority treatment –and we want to change that … one flower at a time!
This year, we will once again launch the “BLOOM with XENIA … Adopt-A-Spot” program to allow individuals, families, businesses, community groups, non-profits, church groups, PTOs, etc., to adopt downtown flower beds and flower pots. In total, there are 36 flower beds and 34 flower pots. The City of Xenia will provide the following support:
- Flowers for 4 flower pots around the Justice Center (formerly known as “City Hall”)
- Routine watering will be done by City Public Service Workers (*more frequent watering may need to be done by the adoptee depending on the weather)
- Mulch will be provided for all flower beds on Volunteer Day, which is Saturday, May 6th (CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER. NO NEW DATE SET AS OF THIS PRESS RELEASE.)
- Debris removal (trash from flower beds, removal of weeds, last year’s dead growth, etc.) will be done on Volunteer Day
- Publicity of the program to include signs to acknowledge the adoptees of each flower bed or flower pot
- The Greene County Master Gardeners will provide the following support:
- Training on good gardening practices (learn the difference between a weed vs. a flower, how to stage plants and flowers, annuals vs. perennials, etc.)
- General support for those wanting to adopt a flower bed or flower pot
We look forward to having you “BLOOM with XENIA!”