Premier Health - Flu Immunizations Available
For the first time this fall, the United States must contend with a flu season wrapped within a global pandemic, as noted recently by a study in the Journal of the American Medical Association. Premier Health is taking steps to ensure that local residents can receive their seasonal flu immunizations safely.
COVID-19 and the seasonal flu are not the same – but they do share many symptoms. While a flu shot won’t prevent COVID-19, a flu shot can help prevent this virus from becoming a big problem this year while COVID-19 remains active.
• The flu vaccine can keep you from getting sick with the flu, or lessen the severity if you do get ill.
• Fewer people with flu mean fewer people overwhelming hospitals, where resources are needed for patients with serious cases of COVID-19, as well as other health care issues.
Residents who begin to exhibit symptoms of flu – such as fever, chills, cough, sore throat, a runny or stuffy nose, or headaches – should contact their provider. During the pandemic, anyone exhibiting flu-like symptoms can be safely tested after first obtaining a physician’s order, generally via a video visit or e-visit with their provider. If deemed appropriate by their provider, the patient can visit one of the following locations and, with the collection of a single swab, be tested for both COVID-19 and seasonal influenza:
• OnMain, 1229 S. Main St., Dayton (no appointment required): 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Certain CompuNet patient service centers (appointment required), including:
o 11135 Montgomery Road, Suite 200, Montgomery: Monday-Friday, 1 p.m. to 4:45 p.m.
o 62 N. Breiel Blvd., Middletown: Monday-Friday, 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.
o 2355 Derr Road, Springfield: Monday-Friday, 10 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
o 1850 W. Main St., Troy: Monday-Friday, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
The following locations are available to Premier Health patients seven days per week (appointment and physician order are both required):
• Atrium Medical Center, One Medical Center Drive, Middletown (drive-through location at Behavioral Health Unit canopy)
• Upper Valley Medical Center, 3130 N. County Road 25A, Troy (drive-through location in the parking lot northeast of the former Dettmer Hospital site)
• Premier Health Urgent Care – Vandalia, 6700 Commerce Center Drive (patient calls upon arrival; is met at door)
• Premier Health Urgent Care – Miamisburg, 8 Prestige Plaza Drive (patient calls upon arrival; is met at door)
Results from the specimen testing are generally available within 24 hours.