Recent BWC Initiatives in Response to COVID-19 Pandemic
BWC initiatives to ease the economic impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic on Ohio’s economy and business community.
• BWC will be sending $1.6 billion to Ohio employers. This dividend is possible due to BWC investment returns, prudent fiscal management, and the good work of employers who pay their BWC premiums and look out for the health and safety of their employees. The dividend will equal approximately 100% of the workers' compensation premium paid in the policy year beginning July 1, 2018 for private employers and January 1, 2018 for public employer taxing districts. Checks will be mailed later this month.
• BWC is temporarily revising its class code assignment rule to allow employers to report wages of operational employees, now working from home and performing different duties/tasks, to class code 8871 (Clerical Telecommuter Employees). The temporary revision to the class code assignment rule only applies during the time of Governor DeWine’s “Stay at home” order, which was initiated on March 15, 2020.
• BWC will exclude emergency sick leave and expanded FMLA wages paid to employees under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act as reportable for BWC premium purposes. The exclusion is effective from 4/1/20 through 12/31/20. Employers will follow the guidelines established by the Federal Government to exclude these wages from their reportable payroll and premium calculation.
• Employers can defer monthly premium installment payments for March, April, and May until June 1.
• BWC waived or postponed all safety and education and training requirements through June 30, 2020 for participants in the Policy Activity Rebate Program, Industry-specific Safety Program, Drug-Free Safety Program, One Claim Program, EM Cap Program and Grow Ohio.
For additional information on the $1.6 billion dividend, visit the News & Events section at www.bwc.ohio.gov
For answers to important workers' compensation questions regarding COVID-19, visit BWC’s Frequently asked Questions page.