Our Neighbors’ News January 2020
Happy New Year...and Happy New Decade!! We are so excited about the coming days, weeks and months. Who's empty belly will we fill? Who's tired body will we strengthen? Who's hurting heart will we encourage? Who's downcast spirit will we come alongside as a community and uplift? All of this and more...and we're so grateful to do it with you!!
We are so thankful for your support and involvement in our mission:
"To provide a place where our neighbors eat and
come together as one community."
• Congratulations to The Kitchen Table who won Community Cafe of the Year! Thank you One World Everybody Eats for making this fun competition possible and for driving awareness to all of the community cafes around the country. One Bistro is proud to be one of the many community cafes who seek to serve and make a difference with food insecurity. A big hearty thank you to all who voted for us; those in our community and those around the country. It was fun to hear from many of you and to know you were cheering us on!
• Xenia is one of the Top 10 towns still in the running for a renovation with The Small Business Revolution. You can visit their social media pages to show your support for #MyXenia! The Top 5 towns will be announced on January 14th.
• On January 20th, members of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority will honor the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. by engaging in a day of service in our communities and around the world to promote peace and community through love. One Bistro, along with several other organizations, will host ANYBODY CAN SERVE, a free pancake volunteer appreciation breakfast starting at 8AM. One Bistro is catering the breakfast and will have an opportunity to share how volunteers can get involved with supporting our mission.
• Our goal for #GivingTuesday was $11,000, however through your generosity, we surpassed this goal and raised over $13,000!! This will provide over 2,000 meals for our neighbors in need in 2020!
• Don't forget all of the amazingly simple ways you can support One Bistro as you go about your normal, daily activities. AmazonSmile and Kroger Plus Community Rewards are super easy to set up and then every dollar you spend, One Bistro gets a percentage.
"When I consider the good that they do for the community, I am blown away! This isn't some kind of charity place that just cuts corners to do just enough to make themselves look good; these people are genuinely doing amazing work!! Every community should have things like this to help people and connect the community." ~ Olivia
and we want to support your
NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS
for healthy eating!! We have some amazing, gourmet salads that are delicious and oh so filling, while also being very nutritious!!
• Apple Quinoa Salad
• Cobb Salad
• Chopped Southwest Salad
• House Salad
**Add some protein: Chicken for $2 or Salmon for $4**
2019 Mission Results
• December PIF: 748 meals
• December Comp: 376 meals
• YTD Comp: 5,715 meals
• Since 2012: 64,715 meals
**PIF means "Pay-It-Forward"
**Comp means "Meals given away"
Chef Greg & Shayne Shaffer
Chef Greg knows that God brought him to One Bistro for a reason! From his experience in the food industry for over 20 years and previous job as a Kitchen Manager, he moved smoothly into the role of Chef and General Manager of Daily Operations at One Bistro 2 years ago. "One Bistro is what 'community' is all about," Chef says, and he loves that he gets to be part of the cycle of helping others to help and give back, using their God-given abilities to support their community. His favorite part of the job is the cooking. Chef Greg loves to cook and is obviously amazing at it! His creativity and style are part of every dish he prepares. Besides satisfying people's physical hunger, Chef is honored to pour into people mentally, emotionally and spiritually as well. "Sometimes people are searching and they just need to talk, they need someone to really listen to them. I'm glad for the opportunity to do that."
Shayne is Chef Greg's wife of 21 years and this is not the first time they have worked together. They met while they were working in a kitchen together, Shayne as a prep cook. Now, at One Bistro, they have another opportunity, not only to work together, but also to minister together. The number of details that fell into place in order to make this happen, Shayne says, it was obvious God put it all together!
Shayne is coming to One Bistro as the Front House Coordinator with the majority of her working experience in customer service. She will be coordinating daily operations as well as organizing and supervising the many volunteers who One Bistro depends upon each day. "Working at One Bistro is like customer service with a bonus," Shayne says. "On Saturday I got to tell everyone who came in for breakfast that their food was already paid for by a generous donor. It was amazing to see their faces and their generosity in turn." Her favorite part of One Bistro is watching God work. She gets to see first hand the support from Xenia's community and how they rally around the bistro, volunteering and paying it forward. "It makes my heart feel good to know I am in the right place and doing the right thing!"
"This place has better food than Panera, First Watch or Coldwater Cafe without breaking your bank account. The portion sizes are huge and it's not for profit, the prices are suggested, so if you're on fixed income you still get a good meal. The waitresses are so friendly and have genuine smiles!" ~ Amy
THANK YOU, Volunteers!
We love our volunteers at One Bistro!! It is because of your faithful service and love for your neighbors that we are able to provide a safe place for our community to gather, and nourish their bodies, and their souls!
We are looking for groups and individuals to sign-up to volunteer. Check out Signup Genius to see what openings we have or visit our website for more information!
Join us for Community Meal every Wednesday evening from 5:00-7:00!
• Share love, give hope, and provide a sense of community to our neighbors.
• Reach out and help to meet the needs of neighbors, both physically and spiritually.
• Serve privileged and under-privileged neighbors by giving a hand up, not a hand out.
• Provide healthy, affordable meals in a warm and welcoming environment.
• Eliminate hunger, build relationships, and celebrate community with our neighbors.
One Bistro Catering
Let Us Host Or Cater Your Next Event!
On Site or Off Site
**One Bistro Catering Supports Our Non-Profit One Bistro Cafe**
Chef Greg: 740.505.6386